THE DECISION

Sunday, January 9, 2011

I didn't have to wait long.  The unemployment decision arrived in the mail yesterday.

I visited my neighbors at their house in the afternoon.  Since we live on a private drive, our mailboxes are at the end of our little road.  When I left their house, I trudged through the snow to see if Saturday's mail had arrived.

Gentle snowflakes had fallen all morning.  A fresh blanket of snow covered the ground.  As I walked home, I mindlessly flipped through the contents of my mailbox.  To my surprise, a letter from unemployment lay in my hands.  A still calm surrounded me.  I took a deep breath, looked up to the sky & tore open the envelope.

I skimmed the first page, only interested in the decision.  It wasn't there, so I quickly shoved it behind the other pages & scanned the second page.  I didn't find the decision there either.  My heart raced.  I shuffled back to the first page & carefully read each word.  Nothing.  Ahhh!

Then I turned the first page over.  It was a double-sided letter!  (Duh).  Here's what I found:

"LAW:  An individual is not disqualified for benefits if the individual was discharged without just cause in connection with work.

REASONING:  The Courts, Commission, and Director, have consistently held that an individual who is unable to work due to a bona fide illness does not engage in misconduct, and is discharged without just cause in connection with work.  While the employer may have made the correct business decision for their ongoing operation, since the claimant was unable to return to work, and provided medical statements in support of her claims, she did not engage in any misconduct, which should have resulted in a denial of benefits.  Therefore, it is held that the claimant was discharged without just cause in connection with work.

DECISION:  The Director's Redetermination, issued September 03, 2010, is affirmed with respect to claimant's separation from (company name).  The claimant was discharged by (company name) without just cause in connection with work.  Claimant's application remains allowed."

I won the appeal!  Again!  I rushed back to my neighbors' house to share the terrific news.

I'd love to confidently state that this will be the end of their harassment.  However, they have twenty-one days to file a Request for Review.  According to the letter, "The request should set forth the reasons why the appellant disagrees with the Hearing Officer's decision."  Ughhh.

My gut tells me they are finally going to stop.  They know they can't prove I wasn't ill, & that's what they would have to do.  If they file their third appeal, I'll just have to speak the truth again.  How many times do they need to be told:  THEY TERMINATED ME WITHOUT JUST CAUSE.  I guess I'll find out soon.

Just like love, the truth prevails.

I can sum up the letter in one word