FLOWERS FROM MY FRIENDS

Monday, September 13, 2010

Before my last surgery, my neighbors brought me this cheery arrangement combined of flowers from both of our yards.
lively, colorful, vibrant

Five days later, I related to the droopy arrangement. It was six days until my surgery and my listless body mirrored the faded peony. Limp and hunched over in pain, I saw my reflection in the withering flowers. My vitality draining...slowly away.
weary, pale, arid

Below I'm captured, beaming, two weeks before my wedding day.
July 31, 2009

Eleven months later, agonizing, the evening before my surgery (after almost five months of unending, excruciating pain).
June 8, 2010


I waited until the brittle petals fell, then gently placed the frail arrangement to rest in our woods.



(A stirring song by a fave musician, Ben Harper, kept coming to mind while I wrote this post. So I'll share that too.) 

Roses from my Friends

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Jenn,

The "before and after" flower pictures and pictures of you - back to back like that - really gave a visual for people for an illness that is hard for people to get a visual on.

It's nice to see a picture of you that's not a long distance shot too. :)

Best of all, I am so happy that you are feeling so much better lately (well enough to fly!)

Endometriosis can be a very brutal illness. I am happy for you that this last surgery has brought you some much-needed pain relief.

Jeanne

Jenn said...

Thank you Jeanne. That's just what I was going for. I figured the pictures spoke for themselves, so I didn't have to say much else.

I have intentionally avoided any close up pictures of myself until yesterday. I decided that they were important to share & compare. I was inspired, by your video & Amanda's video, to not be scared to put a face to this blog. I realized that if I'm dedicated to this cause, I need to put it all out there (or at least nearly all).

Thank you for your kindness & support. It always makes me happy.

I'm working my way towards the post about my surgery. I just haven't been able to revisit it enough yet. But I think I will be able to soon.

Take care!

Jeanne said...

Jenn,

A picture says a 1,000 words. ;)

I totally understand. One has to be ready to share pictures... if they ever decide to. It IS nice to put a face with the name.

You have a habit of spreading happy vibes yourself!

Take your time. It'll happen when you're ready.

Take care,

Jeanne

P.S. I can't wait until you get the video blogging bug. I think Amanda would tell you that I got her hooked on that. lol ;)

Jenn said...

Jeanne,

I took some time, but I was finally ready & I'm feeling good about it.

Thank you! I just might catch the video blog bug. :)

Jeanne said...

Jenn,

Well, you just let me know when you're ready to set up your YouTube channel. I'll be happy to help you set it up! ;)

Jeanne