PONDERING MY PERIOD

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Between my recent surgeries and the drugs I was taking (NuvaRing for period suppression & Zoladex for faux-menopause), my menstrual cycle is quite confused. (Can you blame it?). I haven't had a period since my surgery, over two months ago. I have to admit, this respite has been delightful. (I may have even forgot for a few days that I will ever shed blood again). But over the last few days, I have noticed a feeling of dread creeping into my thoughts.

It must be coming...it'll probably be today...

The anticipation is grueling. Every time I go to the bathroom, I cringe, and look for the crimson drops to appear.

I am especially anxious to experience my first post-surgery period to see how I'm going to feel. My periods have been so painful, for so long, I can't imagine it being any other way. I did not experience any relief after my first three laparoscopy procedures. So it is difficult not to be skeptical, even though I know this time my surgery was completed correctly. My doctor assured me I will feel like a brand new woman. I hope he's right!

In the meantime, I need to focus on enjoying my current period-free days & know I'll deal with whatever comes with my next period. I wish I just knew what day I was going to start...




4 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh that sucks :(

I haven't had a period since 2005 when I had the Mirena coil fitted... (and I had a new one fitted last year) but this week I had mega cramps and a sudden bout of bleeding... scared the hell out of me even though it was less than I used to have just because it was unexpected and unexplained... when our bodies do things we don't expect it can really panic us *hugs*

I hope that when your period comes it really isn't too bad... I know that is a lot to hope for, but I will hope for it anyway!

Jenn said...

Thanks Amanda!

That's exactly what it is, the unexpected and the unexplained are scary. I hope you are feeling better.

Thanks for hoping for me! :)

Jeanne said...

Jenn,

Not knowing when it's coming is the worst, isn't it? I hope this surgery gives you some much-needed pain relief! Yes, enjoy the period-free days while you can.

Jeanne

Jenn said...

Thanks Jeanne! I hope so too (fingers crossed). I feel better in general & the excruiating pain is gone. So I am very hopeful!