JENN IN ZEN?

Saturday, July 10, 2010


The Gracefield Labyrinth

I am attempting to utilize these weeks as an opportunity to find my inner calm space. Bask in the comfort of the quiet peace. I've been interested in meditation for awhile, but haven't yet given it my all. It's feeling like the time is now.

With perfect timing, I just discovered that my aunt (I am blessed with many wonderful aunts, you may have noticed) has a labyrinth at her church. I didn't really know about labyrinths (my first thought was the movie), so I have been doing a little research. I'm feeling so inspired by the concept.

A labyrinth is one connected path, leading you either to the center or the entrance/exit. You are never lost. There are no tricks; it's not a maze. You walk the path to your own tempo. Along the way, you can meditate & pray. Beauty-full.

I want to find space in my yard to create one for our home. I'm drawn to meditation, but am a novice & haven't mastered sitting still & quieting my mind. Incorporating movement into meditation by walking the labyrinth seems it would create a focus & the beauty of the outdoors would help quiet my mind.

I liked this website's explanation of labyrinths & their openness to sharing theirs with others. The serene labyrinth picture above is their creation. Visit the link for more information.

It may take some time for me to create my own, but I am excited knowing my aunt's church is a short car ride away. I can't wait to experience it for myself!

I want to be Zendo Jenndo even with Endo, my Friendo. (You know I can't resist a fun rhyme & making up words!)

2 comments:

Alanna Klapp said...

I love this post especially the second to last line!!!! I love this concept, too, and I've not heard of it before. I'm interested in meditation too (even bought a book about it that I've only read half way) and it's funny that I am seeing this post today because I was talking with one of my co-workers about meditation. I am definitely in the novice catergory and it does seem like a huge leap to be able to sit still and quiet my almost-always-racing mind. I'd still like to try, though, and I hope there will be more posts on your wonderful blog about meditation! Thanks!

Jenn said...

haha thanks! That was fun rhyme!

I will try to write more about mediation as I attempt it. I still haven't taken the trip to the labyrinth, but hope to soon. I imagine it will inspire me to keep working on meditating.

Have you read Eat, Pray, Love? I loved reading her experiences with meditation.

Thanks for your comments!